Thursday, September 25, 2008

New Material

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I have decided that I need to find new reading material. Up until now I have read not only the same kinds of books, but also the same books. I have always stuck with Mary Higgins Clark books, and the Harry Potters, and, now, the Twilight series. However, I have been inspired to move up in the world and read something a little different. I mentioned earlier that I was going to start with the classics such as Shakespeare and Jane Austen, but I think that the first books on my new reading list will be two books by Gregory Maguire: "Wicked" and "Son of a Witch." These are the story of life in Oz before Dorothy, and then life in Oz after Dorothy. For those of you who don't know, I am a HUGE Wizard of Oz fan. I have seen the movie many times, I own many different editions of the book, and I collect memorabilia. So, when I learned about the musical and the books alike, (and I heard of them a while ago; I'm just now getting around to reading the books.) I absolutely could not wait to see the musical. So, the second week of October I will FINALLY get to see Wicked on Broadway and I am absolutely pumped! And, in order to prepare myself, I am getting ready to read the books on which the musical is based.

In addition, I was also excited to learn that Gregory Maguire has not only told the story of Oz in his own version, but he has also ventured into the land of old and written stories along the lines of Cinderella and Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. So, once I am done with "Wicked" and "Son of a Witch," I think I will go on to read Maguire's own versions of these other fantastic stories. Of course, I will keep you posted!

No comments: