Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Meeting God Halfway

Years and years ago I was at my grandparents house watching a movie, "Where the Red Fern Grows." While I don't remember much about the movie, I have slept since then, I have always remembered a quote in the movie that I have found applies to our lives today. The movie is about a young boy and his two hound dogs. However, before he can receive his two hound dogs, he has to "meet God halfway." Therefore, he gets a job and saves his money to buy his two hound dogs. The point is, two hound dogs did not just appear on his front porch; he had to work for them. Sure, God could have led a man to buy two dogs for a random little boy, or he could have caused two hound dogs to find their way to this boy's front yard, but instead he chooses to teach this boy what it is to work for what you want rather than just being handed what you desire. A simple lesson with profound meaning.

As I go throughout my life, and I find myself asking God for different things, I always remind myself that "I have to meet God halfway." Maybe I am asking for a new job, or maybe I am asking for the money to go back to school, or maybe I am asking God for my husband. Whatever the request may be, I have to meet God halfway. I have to submit my resume and get out there and look for that new job. I have to apply to that school and fill out all of the required applications for the money to go back to school. Or maybe I just have to put myself out there and meet people, and then God will put my future husband in my path and TADA! He has granted my request. The point is, while He surely can, He doesn't just make things happen. We have to put forth a little effort too. So, I encourage you to reflect on what it is that you are asking God for. A new job? A new car? A friend? Whatever it is, are you meeting God halfway?

No comments: