Thursday, June 25, 2009

What are you reading?

Months and months ago I talked about looking for new reading material. While I love all of my "old faithfuls" such as Harry Potter and Twilight, I was looking for something a little different. So, one day I decided to spend some time in Borders reading through books and looking for something that might pique my interest. In my search, I discovered an author by the name of Philippa Gregory. She writes historical fiction- a concept I never did understand- and I found that I absolutely love it. Whether you know it or not, you are probably familiar with one of her books, "The Other Boleyn Girl" which was made into a movie starring Natalie Portman and Scarlett Johansson. Neither of whom are very high on my favorites list, but I did enjoy the movie. Anyways, this book tells the story of Anne Boleyn and Henry Tudor, or Henry VIII, and it is told from the perspective of Mary Boleyn, Anne's younger sister. After reading this book, and finding myself lost in the world Gregory creates, I promptly went on half.com and ordered several of her others that I had looked through in the bookstore, and decided I had to have. Many of these titles include: "The Boleyn Inheritance" which tells the story of what happened 3 years after the death of Anne Boleyn; "The Queen's Fool" which tells the story of a young, holy fool named Hannah who serves under King Edward, Queen Mary, and Queen Elizabeth; and "The Constant Princess" which tells the story of how Queen Katherine became an English queen. I don't know about you, but I find that I am fascinated with the deceit and scandal that surrounds the Tudor court, and I cannot get enough of these fictional stories surrounding these non-fiction characters!

2 comments:

Steve said...

I thought Anne was the younger sister?

shea said...

nope, she was the older sister. she was the middle child; george was older