Sunday, July 5, 2009

Give It Up

Several years ago, I made the decision to give up soda and ice cream for one year. Starting that day in September, 2002, I would not drink soda or eat ice cream for one year. Of course, I had rules. Well, one rule. I kept sprite so that when I went to a restaurant where I didn't trust the water they would have made the sweet tea with, I could get a fountain drink that I thought would be "safe." I did very well for that one year, and really, I wasn't tempted at all. For example, one time, I went to Baskin Robbins with some church members on the way home from Gatlinburg. They all got ice cream, but I wasn't even tempted to cave. I made it that whole year without drinking any kind of "coke" except for sprite at restaurants, but when it came to ice cream, that following June, I caved. Back then, ice cream was my weakness, so when it got hot, self-control went out the window and I enjoyed some mint chocolate chip ice cream. Even now though, I limit myself on the number of soft drinks I have in one day, and ice cream is no longer something I have to have. If I eat it, I try to be mindful of the other sweets I eat as the days/weeks go by so that I don't have to go up a pants size.

I don't really know why I did it. For the most part, I think I just became aware how much of each of them I consumed and decided that in order to kick the habit, I just needed to stop cold turkey. It was during this little "exercise" that I learned I have impeccable self-control, which is something I greatly appreciate!

Why did I just tell you all of that, you ask? Well, I have decided, once again, to give something up. At this very moment, I have no idea what that something(s) is, but I definitely think soda will be on the list. Since I don't really eat a lot of ice cream these days anyway, it would hardly be worth the effort to lay off, and I don't really eat that many sweets. (despite the fact that I work in a bakery!!) Even now, as I sit here, I can't really think of any one thing that I eat too much of. So, perhaps I shouldn't so much focus on something I should GIVE UP, as I should think about what I should TAKE UP. For example, instead of giving up ice cream, I should eat more vegetables (which I LOVE, so no problem there!). I'm going to have to think on this, in the meantime..........

Any suggestions?

2 comments:

patty said...

Yes, I have a suggestion. Instead of giving up something or taking up something to eat, why don't you take up a motto of "I'm gonna live my life without regrets" or "I'm gonna live out my dream" or "Why not say yes?"
What do you think? I decided to step out of my comfort zone and do some things that I wouldn't normally do. It didn't kill me, and I actually had fun.

shea said...

really, what did you do?