Wednesday, August 26, 2009

I know, I know....

I'm terrible at blogging. I feel like I NEVER have anything to blog about. So, here are just some random thoughts/not-so-interesting updates from my life!

I started training in accounting for my job yesterday. For those of you who don't know, I work at Kroger, which I HATE telling people, and I work as both a cake decorator and a customer service supervisor. I started working there because I wanted to learn to decorate cake, and once I learned all that they could teach me, I decided I wanted to use some of my other talents in addition to decorating cake. So, I asked to work up front at our customer service desk, and the front end people were all too eager to have me, thank goodness! Well, yesterday they started training me to work in what is called accounting. What happens in accounting? Well, that is where all of the heavy duty money-handling happens. We count all of the tills for the registers, keep up with how much money is in the store safe, and run reports on all the happenings that have to do with money. Needless to say, we have to be very careful with what we do to make sure that every penny is accounted for. It is very tedious, not to mention confusing and scary. If I do well, I could potentially move up in the company, in which case the ultimate goal would be to work at the corporate level upon receiving my degree, but I'm not sure that's where I want to be or what I want to do. However, I have a while to think about such things. In the meantime, my front end manager would really like for me to talk to the store manager about him letting me become full-time. I like that idea; the 40 hour paycheck is just a little prettier than the others, and I would also be eligible for pay upgrades, whereas I have reached (or so I have heard) the maximum a part-timer can make, which isn't bad money for retail. I plan on finishing my degree online which allows me to work full-time without the complications of conflicting schedules or grueling commutes. As far as that goes, wish me luck!

I mentioned earlier that the plan is to finish my degree online. The degree/program I am looking at is at Fort Valley State University, which is somewhere in Ga. It is an online English degree that does not require any campus visits, which is ideal, and I would be certified to teach. High school English is the goal there. However, should I choose to go the corporate route, as also mentioned above, I can do that, because with this company, experience usually outweighs education in certain fields. Not to mention, I can always get my Masters in business. Once again, wish me luck!

No comments: