Wednesday, August 19, 2009

A Lesson In English

Incorrect: alot
Correct: a lot

Loose= My pants are loose.
Lose= I need to lose weight.

There= There is the car.
Their= It is their car. (shows ownership)
They're= They're going to the car. (they are)

The statement "a whole nother" is incorrect. "Nother" is not a word. The correct statement would be "a whole other."

I before E except after C.
Example: Believe; Receipt

I haven't posted in a while, and these are just some pet peeves of mine. My mother is an English teacher so incorrect grammar and spelling were not tolerated in our home. Therefore, my grammar and spelling are exceptional, of course!! These are just some common mistakes people make. Stay tuned for more.....

3 comments:

Sara said...

"The statement "a whole nother" is in correct." I believe you spelled "incorrect" incorrectly. Haha!

My Hodge Podge Life said...

hahaha!! you are right! that's what i get!

Sara said...

oh and i submit another one that drives me crazy:

a part and apart. 2 very different meanings!!

a part- a piece of something
apart- separated