Thursday, October 1, 2009

The Life Of One

Many of us are very fortunate. We may not drive shiny new cars, or live in big, fancy houses, but we do have a lot of things others don't. Most of us have a roof over our heads, food in our pantry, a pillow to lay our heads on at night, etc. What about the people who don't have those things? Or the people who struggle day and night to have only those things? Or what about the people who have all of that, but suffer another misfortune? Sick child, abusive spouse. I can't speak for everyone, but I can speak for myself when I say that I am a very spoiled, and thus naive, little girl. I grew up in a nice home with nice things and people who love me. I've never had to wonder when my next meal would be, or whether or not there would be somewhere for me to sleep, or worry about having to hide in my closet until the scary part was over. What's sad is that that is the reality to many Americans today. My question to myself is: what can I do to help? Please understand, I'm not out to bring on world peace. I just want to know what I can do, to maybe make the life of one other person just a little bit better.

I've always had this thought that one day, I would like to have enough money to help those who are less fortunate than myself. I have a mental checklist of people whose lives I would like to make better one day. People I know. People who are kind, and good, and deserve a break from the hand that has been dealt them. I don't know that I will ever be at a place where I can totally change someone's life with a check and a lot of zeros, but what I can do, what I will always be able to do, is show love and kindness. Show them Jesus.

1 comment:

~PakKaramu~ said...

Pak Karamu visiting your blog